The Ascension Project
The Baal are a race of humanoids native to Sheol. They are medium sized, humanoid, creatures with red to black skin and horns.
Biology: The commonly reddish hue to their skin and the presence of horn like protrusions from the heads of both male and female individuals earned them their vaguely biblical name.
Female Baal physically, tend to be lithe and muscular, due to their warrior culture and martial upbringing, standing on average from 5’3" to 5’10". Horned protrusions extend from the upper forehead, varying regionally in shape, and continue to grow throughout the females life. Considered, almost universally, to be very attractive by human standards; female Baal tend to be intimidating and brusque when dealing with other species but a charming, though fanged, smile is not unknown among the fairer sex of Sheol.
In Baal culture, the act of giving birth is a celebrated and sacred event, which is fitting due to the time and effort required. Once a Baal female becomes pregnant she begins the approximately 2 year process of carrying her children. During the first six months, the female goes through a similar process to human pregnancy, however she will (over the course of the next 18 to 24 months) give birth, one at a time, to up to 8 offspring.
Baal Females gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity and a +2 bonus to Charisma.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Females have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: A Females speed is 30 feet.
- Dark Vision: Females can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Regeneration: A Female has a regeneration rate equal to her Constitution modifier.
- Naturally Adapted: Females are highly adapted to the environment of Sheol and so they gain a +5 bonus on all saves against high temperature effects, radiation and poisons.
- Random height: Female 5’ 5” + 2d6".
- Random weight: Female 100 lb + (result of 2d6 from height × 10).
Baal Males are the embodiment of a millennia of war and sacrifice. Physically imposing, they tend to stand nearly 7’5" tall and weigh up to as much as 450lbs. A males skin is tough, almost scaled, and thoroughly armored. Horns grow into a helmet like structure over their head and face.
The Rut: Throughout the evolution of the Baal, the drive to procreate has been the soul focus of of the male. The harsh, unforgiving landscape of Sheol and violent competition over mates left only the the most cunning and vicious males alive to breed. An evolutionary arms race developed due the sexes dual minded focus, gradually resulting in the younger weaker males, unable to mate, naturally overloading their bodies with hormones. This pituitary shift empowers the male, drastically increasing their muscle growth, internal/external bone density, and violent temperament making them fierce competitors. This change is known as the rut. Once a male has procreated (100% Success rate) their body and mind rapidly age and die, usually within a year. As a species the Baal culture is inexorably tied to combat and conquest, juxtaposed with the sacrifice and submission required to further the species.
• Physical characteristics:
Baal males gain a +4 bonus to Strength,a +2 bonus to Constitution, a -4 penalty to Charisma and a -2 penalty to Dexterity.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, males have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Normal Speed: A males speed is 30 feet.
• Dark Vision: Males can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
• Scales: A males natural scales provide them with a natural Plating equal to 1/2 the characters level + Constitution score.
• Warrior Personality: Males are natural warriors, not diplomats. As such they prefer intimidating tactics and violence to solving problems with diplomacy. They gain a +2 bonus to Intimidate and a -4 penalty to Diplomacy.
• Regeneration: A male has a regeneration rate equal to his Constitution modifier.
• Naturally Adapted: Males are highly adapted to the environment of Sheol and so they gain a +5 bonus on all saves against high temperature effects, radiation and poisons.
• Random height: male 6’ 5” + 2d6.
• Random weight: male 300 lb + (result of 2d6 from height × 15).
The Balor of Sheol: The genetic elite of the Baal are recognized at birth and placed in selective and highly dangerous training at a young age. The products of this training are the most effective killers Sheol has to offer.